Jr. Mechanical Technologist
Burnaby, BCPosting Closes: December 5, 2021
Coanda Research & Development Corporation is a rapidly growing Engineering research company specializing in solving the most complex industrial problems. To tackle such challenges, Coanda develops and leverages a range of advanced methodologies such as physical and computational (CFD) modelling, mathematical and statistical modelling and custom instrumentation.
A challenging opportunity exists in our Burnaby, BC facility for a Jr. Mechanical Technologist. The successful candidate will engage in advanced research and development projects over a wide range of industrial sectors and technologies.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining a safe, organized, and efficient lab space and operations
- Working closely with project managers and research scientists to execute projects accurately and on time, including aspects of project coordination and planning
- Specification, setup, operation, calibration, and maintenance of:
- Experimental setups and related lab infrastructure
- Process equipment such as meters, pumps, compressors, valves, piping
- Analytical and measurement equipment
- Assisting engineers and technologists with experimental and equipment design
- Conducting accurate data collection and analysis
- Compiling and maintaining well-organized data reporting (lab books, photos, etc.)
- Designing, fabricating, and machining of custom parts and fixtures related to experimental setups
- Assisting with the procurement of parts and equipment, including vendor liaison and Quality Assurance (QA)
- Labelling, logging, and collecting samples from various experiments
- Cleaning and organizing laboratory equipment and work areas
Required skills and experience:
- Specification, installation, and operation of pumps, piping and other process equipment
- Work safely in a lab environment and paying attention to detail while performing repetitive tasks
- Hands-on experience with mechanical systems, instrumentation and wiring, power tools etc.
- Hands-on experience with assembly of equipment
Additional (preferred) skills and experience:
- High pressure systems & gas cylinders
- HAZOP, inspections
- Photography, lighting, and camera set-up experience
- Data acquisition, control, and instrumentation
- Analytical instrumentation, analytical and chemical lab techniques
- Forklift and scissor lift experience
- Data analysis experience using Excel, Matlab and/or Origin
- Diploma in Mechanical Technology
- 0-2 years of industrial or research experience
- Eligibility to work in Canada
Benefits available to our employees:
- RRSP matching
- Health spending account
- Dental, vision and extended health coverage
- Travel coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Flexible work hours
- Paid time off for sick days and medical reasons
This is an on-site job at Coanda’s Burnaby facility; however some travel may be required to our Edmonton facility to support projects on an as-needed, but infrequent basis. Participating in field projects at customer’s facilities is also a possibility for this position.
Coanda is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
We thank all those that apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send us your resume and cover letter using this form.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however,
only those under consideration will be contacted.