Edmonton, ABPosting Closes: June 10, 2022
Chemical Technologist (Edmonton, AB)
An exciting permanent, full-time opportunity exists in our Edmonton research facility for an energetic and experienced Chemical Technologist. This is a highly specialized role that focuses on the research and development aspect of the profession. The successful candidate will support laboratory operations, industrial research projects and experiments for clients in various industries such as oil, energy, natural resources, and defense, among many others.
Who we are:
Coanda specializes in solving the hardest industrial problems by applying fundamental scientific principles. We are problems solvers and we are subject matter experts, with expertise bridging many facets of engineering and science. Alongside our strong focus on mechanical and chemical engineering, we apply physics, chemistry, artificial intelligence, and geotechnical science to solve the challenges faced by our clients in their industries. Our clients span many industries from the traditional (Petrochemicals, Mining) to the cutting edge (Cleantech, Biotechnology, Environmental Science)
Who you are:
You are someone who enjoys discovering new things and developing new processes. You are no longer satisfied with the repetitive tasks associated with production environments and seek to be challenged all the time. Do you have keen eye for details? Do you have a creative mind? Do you want to be part of a solution? If any of these sounds like you, we want to hear from you!
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining a safe, organized, and efficient analytical lab space operations.
- Operation, calibration, and maintenance of:
- Analytical instrumentation and equipment such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, UV/Vis spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, Karl Fischer titrators, pH and conductivity probes, TOC meter, centrifuges, vacuum extraction, analytical balances, etc.
- Analytical testing, experimental setups, and related lab infrastructure.
- Wet chemistry procedures and diagnostics.
- Conducting accurate data collection and analysis.
- Maintaining lab inventory/consumables, including chemicals.
- Managing and developing QA/QC processes & Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Working closely with project managers and research scientists to execute projects accurately and timely.
- Compiling and maintaining well-organized data reporting (lab books, processing logs, photos, etc.).
- Brainstorming and implementing novel ideas and technology in the areas of analytical methods, lab techniques, sample preparations, instrumentation, etc.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Operating, calibrating, and maintaining sensitive analytical lab instrumentation & equipment.
- Proficiency in Gas Chromatography operation, maintenance & data processing.
- Strong understanding of wet chemistry techniques.
- Familiarity with QA/QC processes & development, including SOPs.
- Working safely in a lab environment, following procedures & regulations.
- Experience with lab inventory management and records management.
- Good overall knowledge of analytical methods (ASTM, EPA, etc.).
- Experience with:
- Mass spectrometry and Micro-GC data acquisition & processing.
- X-ray diffraction operation & data processing.
- HPLC operation & data processing.
- Data analysis experience using Excel, ChemStation, OpenLab, etc.
- Hands-on experience with high pressure systems & gas cylinders, instrumentation and wiring, lab setup, power, and hand tools, etc.
- Chemical Technology Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with analytical equipment, procedures, and lab techniques.
- Industrial laboratory environment experience.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada.
- Excellent written and communication skills, fluency in written and spoken English
Benefits available to our employees:
- RRSP matching and stock purchase plan
- Health spending account
- Dental, vision and extended health coverage
- Travel medical coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Paid time off for sick days and medical reasons
This is an on-site job at Coanda’s Edmonton facility; however some travel may be required to our Burnaby facility to support projects on an as-needed, but infrequent basis. Participating in field projects at customer’s facilities is also a possibility for this position.
Coanda is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
We thank all those that apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send us your resume and cover letter using this form.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however,
only those under consideration will be contacted.