Past Conference Papers by Coanda Staff
Posted on March 23, 2015
Sample collection of past conference papers authored or co-authored by Coanda staff.
* Note that Coanda employees are in bold.
- Derakhshandeh, B., Vlassopoulos, D., and Hatzikiriakos, S.G. (2012), Ultrasound Velocimetry to Study Thixotropy, Yielding, and Shear-Banding in Flexible Fibre Suspensions, XVIth International Congress on Rheology, Lisbon, Portugal, August 5-10.
- Derakhshandeh, B., Hatzikiriakos, S.G., and Bennington, C.P.J. (2011), Macroscopic vs. Local Rheology of Pulp Fibre Suspensions, 23rd Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 5-9.
- Sabet, S.S., Derakhshandeh, B., Hamad, W.Y., and Hatzikiriakos, S.G. (2010), The Rheology of Cellulose Suspensions: A Comparison of Nanocrystalline Cellulose (NCC) and Conventional Wood Pulp Fibre Suspensions, The Society of Rheology 82nd Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, NM, USA, October 14-28.
- Derakhshandeh, B., Hatzikiriakos, S.G., and Bennington, C.P.J. (2009), Ultrasonic Rheometry of Pulp Suspensions, The Society of Rheology 81st Annual Meeting, Madison, WI, USA, October 18-22.
- Gomez, C., Derakhshandeh, B., Hatzikiriakos, S.G., and Bennington, C.P.J. (2009), “Carbopol as a Model Fluid for Studying Pulp Suspension Mixing, 8th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Montreal, QC, Canada, August 23-27.
- Hilderman, T. and Weiss, M. (2008) Laboratory-based Fluid Dynamic Measurement Techniques for Oil Sand Process Modeling, 5th Annual Canadian Mineral Processors Seminar, November 13, Fort McMurray, Alberta.
- Mezo, A., Davy, M.H., Evans, R.L., (2008), Image-based analysis of partially stratified natural gas combustion in a constant volume bomb, Proceedings of Combustion Institute – Canadian Section, Toronto, Ontario
- Rans, R., Sawchuk, B. and Weiss, M.H. (2008), Flow Conditioning and Effects on Accuracy for Fluid Flow Measurement, presented at 7th South East Asia Hydrocarbon Flow Measurement Workshop. March 5-7.
- Derakhshandeh, B., and Shojaei, A. (2007), Effect of Matrix Ingredients on Wear and Friction Properties of Rubber/Phenolic Resin Based Friction Materials, 8th International Seminar on Polymer Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran, October 23-25.
- Hilderman, T. and Wilson, D.J. (2006), Wind shear distortion of concentration fluctuations from an elevated source, Poster presented at the 28th NATO/CCMS International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modeling and Its Application, May 15-29, Leipzig, Germany.
- Hilderman, T., Yee, E. (2005), Concentration Fluctuation Intensities and Time Scales within Simulated Urban Obstacle Arrays in a Water Channel, 9th Annual George Mason University Conference on Transport and Dispersion Modeling, July 18-20, Fairfax, Virginia.
Roberts, S.K. and Yaras, M.I. (2004), “Boundary Layer Transition in Separation Bubbles over Rough Surfaces,” Proc. ASME Turbo Expo, Vienna, AT, ASME GT2004-53667.
- Hilderman, T., Yee, E., and Chong, R. (2004), Water Channel Measurements of Plume Dispersion and Concentration Fluctuations in Simulated Urban Obstacle Arrays, 8th Annual George Mason University Conference on Transport and Dispersion Modeling, July 13-15, Fairfax, Virginia.
Roberts, S.K. and Yaras, M.I. (2003), “Effects of Periodic Unsteadiness, Free-Stream Turbulence and Flow Reynolds Number on Separation Bubble Transition,” Proc. ASME Turbo Expo, Atlanta, GA, ASME GT-2003-38262.
- Roberts, S.K. and Yaras, M.I. (2003), “Measurements and Prediction of Free-Stream Turbulence and Pressure Gradient Effects on Attached Flow Boundary Layer Transition,” Proc. ASME Turbo Expo, Atlanta, GA, ASME GT-2003-38261.
- Weiss, M.H., Studzinski, W., and Attia, J.N. (2002), Performance Evaluation of Orifice Meter Standards for selected T-junction and Elbow Installations, Fluid Flow Measurement, 5th International Symposium. April 7-10.
- Sigurdson, L. and Diep, J. (2001), Control of smokestack downwash using a concentric annular synthetic jet, Abstract in Bulletin of the American Physical Society 54th Annual Meeting of the Division of Fluid Dynamics, November 18-20, San Diego, California 46(10):46.
- Yee, E., Kiel, D, Hilderman, T. (2001), Statistical Characteristics of Plume Dispersion from a Localized Source Within an Obstacle Array in a Water Channel, Fifth Annual George Mason University Transport and Dispersion Modelling Workshop, July 18-19, Fairfax, Virginia.
- Yee, E., and Kiel, D.E, (2001), A Physical Modelling Approach for the Simulation of Urban Wind Flow and Dispersion, North Atlantic Treaty Organization – RTO Meeting Proceedings 75 – Operational Medical Issues in Chemical and Biological Defense, Estorl, Portugal, May 14-17.
- Hilderman, T.L., Wilson, D.J., and Hrudey, S.E. (2000), Application of Inter- and Intra-Species Uncertainty Factors to Rat Fatality Data Used in the Hydrogen Sulfide AEGL-3 Levels, Poster presented at the API Hydrogen Sulfide Health Research and Risk Assessment Symposium, October 31-November 2, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Diep, J. Sigurdson, L. (1999), Production of synthetic jets using slots in an acoustic resonance tube, Bulletin of the American Physical Society 52nd Annual Meeting of the Division of Fluid Dynamics, November 21-23, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Studzinski, W., Weiss, M.H. and Brown, M.T. (1999), Fluid Dynamic Assessment of a Multi-run Ultrasonic Meter Station, 3rd ASME/JSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference. FEDSM99-7147.
- Botros, K.K., Weiss, M.H. and Price, G.R. (1998), Effect of Inlet Header Pre-Heating on the Temperature Distribution in a Steam Furnace Tube Bank, presented at International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition. Nov. 15-20 Anaheim, CA, K10.
- Wilson, D.J. and Hilderman, T.L. (1998), Stochastic Reconstruction of Intermittent Zero Concentration Periods in Plumes for Accidental Toxic and Flammable Releases, Twenty-Third NATO/CCMS International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modelling and its Application, September 28-October 2, Riviera near Varna, Bulgaria.
- Bergeron, D., Kiel, D.E, Ivanovic, M. and Jones, D. (1997), Comparison of Physical and Numerical Modelling Methods to Study the Ingress of Contaminants in a Cleansing Station due to Buoyancy Driven Flow, 3rd Annual CFX-TASC flow International Conference, Chicago, Illinois, Oct 6-10.
- Hilderman, T.L., Wilson, D.J., and Hrudey, S.E. (1997), The Effect of Uptake and Recovery Rates on the Toxic Load Predicted from Toxic Gas Exposure Concentration Fluctuations, The 7th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Analysis, November 2-5, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- Hilderman, T., Wilson, D.J., and Hrudey, S.E. (1997), Uncertainties in Predicting Fatalities from Toxic Gas Releases, Canadian Prairie and Northern Section of the Air and Waste Management Association 1997 Technical Conference, April 24 and 25, Kananaskis, Alberta.
- Hilderman, T.L., Wilson, D.J., and Hrudey, S.E. (1997), Modeling Zero Concentration Intermittent Periods in Toxic Gas Risk Assessment, Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting and Exposition, December 7-10, Washington, D.C.
- Kiel, D.E. (1996), NOVA Cyclic Purge, CGA/CEPA Greenhouse Gas Technical Workshop, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Feb. 29-Mar. 1.
- Kiel, D.E. (1996), Compressor Station Purging Techniques, ONGA Annual Conference, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, October 29.
- Kiel, D.E. (1995), Laboratory Modelling of Fluid Dynamic Processes, Microtech, Novacor Leominster Technical Center, Leominster, Massachusetts, USA, June 6-8.
- Kiel, D.E. (1995) Optimized Purging of Natural Gas Compressor Stations – An Overview, Silver Medal Winner, PCGA Engine/Compressor O&M Workshop, PCGA Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, Nov. 1-3.
- Kiel, D.E. (1994), Laboratory Modelling of Fluid Dynamic Processes, NRTC Technical Forum, Calgary, Canada, Nov 3.
- Kiel, D.E. (1994), Application of Fluid Dynamics Modelling to the Design of SCLAIRTECH Reactors, SCLAIRTECH Technology Conference, Toronto, Canada, Nov 9.
- Kiel, D.E. (1994), Optimization of Compressor Station Purging, NGTL R&D Seminar, Calgary, Alberta, June 17.
- Jungowski, W.M., Weiss, M.H. and Price, G.R. (1994), Pressure oscillations occurring in a centrifugal compressor system with and without passive and active surge control, presented at International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exposition June 13-16, The Hague, 94-GT-133.
- Foy, C.E. and Kiel, D.E. and Jungowski, W. (1993), The Effect of Pressure Pulsation and Pilot Setting on the Performance of Pressure Relief Valves, SPE-Eastern Regional Meeting, Pittsburgh, USA, October 26-29.
- Kiel, D.E. (1993), Laser Two Spot : Development of an Optical Flow Meter for Use in Gas Pipelines, AGTD R&D Seminar, Calgary, Canada, June.
- Kiel, D.E. and Foy, C.E. (1993), Tone Generation in Stepped Side-Branches, International Conference on Noise and Vibration Control, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 13-June 3.
- Kiel, D.E. (1992), Purging of Closed End Side-Branches in Natural Gas Facilities, ASME Energy-sources Technology Conference, Houston, TX, January.
- Kiel, D.E. and Britter, R.E. (1990), Buoyancy Driven Counterflows Through Passages and Openings, Eurotherm Seminar No. 13 on Fire Modelling, Harwell, U.K., June.
- Jungowski, W.M., Botros, K.K. and Weiss, M.H. (1989), Simulation of Gas Pipeline Blowdown, presented at 12th Annual Energy-sources Technology Conference & Exhibition (ETCE) Houston, Texas, Pipeline Engineering Symposium PD-20, 75-84.
- Weiss, M.H., Walker, G. and Fauvel, O.R. (1988) Microprocessor Based Stirling Engine Design. 23rd Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Denver, Colorado.
- Weiss, M.H. and Botros, K.K. (1987), Investigation of Flow Equalization in Gas Meter Stations, ASME Pipeline Engineering Symposium PD-6, 65-72.
- Studzinski, W., Weiss, M.H. and Botros, K.K. (1987) Critical Flow Factors for Natural Gas. BHRA Second International Conference on Flow Measurement. Paper D2.
- Kiel, D.E. and Wilson, D.J. (1986), Density Driven Flow Through Open Doors, 7th Annual AIC Infiltration and Ventilation Center Conference on Occupant Interaction with Ventilation Systems, Stratford-Upon-Avon, England, Sept.
- Weiss, M.H. and Fauvel, O.R. (1986) A User-friendly Graphics Oriented Stirling Engine Simulation Program, 3rd International Stirling Engine Conference Proceedings, Rome, Italy.
- Sherman, M.H., Wilson, D.J. and Kiel, D.E. (1984), Variability in Residential Air Leakage, ASTM Symposium on Measured Air Leakage Performance of Buildings, Philadelphia, PA, April.
- Raso, J., Moreau, M., Budney, D., McIvor, J., Chandler, W., and Kiel, D.E. (1983), Mechanical Tests of Spinal Fixation Devices, Invited paper, Proc. IX International Congress of Biomechanics, University of Waterloo, Aug. 1983; published in Biomechanics IX-A by Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois.
- Raso, J., Moreau, M., Budney, D., McIvor, J., Chandler, W., and Kiel, D.E. (1983) Mechanical Tests of Spinal Fracture Fixation Devices, Research Annual Conference, New Orleans, Sept.
- Raso, J., Moreau, M., Budney, D., McIvor, J., Chandler, W., and Kiel, D.E. (1983), Experimental Evaluation of Spinal Fixation Devices, Canadian Orthopedic Research Society, Quebec City, June.